2G spectrum case one of the most important cases which came in light during the second tenure of UPA government.The final verdict of the court has come and acquitted MP Kanimozhi and former telecom minister A Raja. The verdict of the court is very important for the ministers and Congress party also as many allegations of corruption were imposed on the party during its government.
But the verdict of the court has also made some people shocked because in the past it has been clearly seen that there is some fuss in the case and there is the loss of some important and precious assets.The CBI investigation has also mentioned that the prices on which the 2G spectrum was sold were far below its actual price.It is very interesting to know that there has been corruption but who has done all this is not found.There are politicians and people who are against the verdict and said that its the worst verdict court has given till now.
In the verdict of Supreme Court, it has been clearly mentioned that “There was no evidence in the record produced before the court that the accused are found guilty.The statements which were produced in the court by the witnesses can’t be considered correct as during the time of investigation their statements are different and they have not owned up in the witness box.Lastly, if the statements were made orally by the witnesses, the same was contrary to the official record and thus, not acceptable in law”.
2G Spectrum-All About
In the 2G scandal case, it was assumed that the Union Government at that time undercharged mobile companies for frequency allocation licenses, which they used to create 2G spectrum subscriptions for cell phones.On 2 February 2012 Supreme Court Of India declared the allotment “unconstitutional and arbitrary” and canceled the licenses which was given to 122 companies at that time.In the judgment at that time, it was said that “A Raja wanted to favor some companies at the cost of public exchequer and virtually gifted away important national assets.The difference between the money collected and money which was assumed to be collected was approximately 1.76 lakh crore which was noticed by Comptroller and Auditor General Of India.CAG reports also mentioned that Telecom department sold many precious assets at a cheap price and TRAI was a helpless spectator in the whole process.The reports said that Raja’s decision cost the government over Rs.90,000 to 1,40,000 crore.
2G Spectrum: Scam Timeline
- The allotment of 2G spectrum began in the year 2007 just after A Raja became the Telecom and IT Minister and the deadline for the submission of application was 1 October.
- In the beginning of the year 2008, Department of Telecommunication decided to issue the license on first-come,first-serve basis.The cut-off date was advanced to 25th September from 1st October and it was said that applications between 3:30 and 4:30 pm would be granted the license.
- In the year 2009, the illegalities and scams came into notice when an NGO filed a complaint to the Central Vigilance Commision.
- In the month of October, the Delhi High Court ruled the advancement of date illegal and CBI filed a complaint against unknown officers of DoT and private companies.
- In the year 2010 Supreme Court upheld the decision of Delhi High Court and handled the case to CBI to investigate.
- CAG reports stated that it was a scam of 1.76 lakh crores.
- In 2012, the license issued to the 122 companies were canceled and a charge of 5 crores on the companies involved in the deal.
CBI: The RolePlay
CBI played an important role in all the fuss. In the year 2009 CBI took a note on the issuing of the license and filed a complaint on the accused.Throughout the investigation of CBI has mentioned that MP Kanimozhi and A Raja are accused and their involvement can’t be ignored in the scam.In the verdict of Supreme Court, it has also been mentioned that CBI has miserably failed to probe the accused the guilty.There had been many flaws in the investigation and there was no scam at all.A few points were noticed and it was “artfully” considered a scam.There was no case of criminality and conspiracy on A Raja and MP Kanimozhi said, CBI judge OP Saini.
Meanwhile, taking a note on the judgment of CBI court CBI has said they are waiting for a copy of the judgment and will take legal advice on it.The CBI is in full mood to take the case to Delhi High Court.
It is a matter of time what further actions CBI would take but it surely it will be very interesting to see the stand what ruling party and the opposition takes on the judgment.It will also be interesting to note the thought of people on the case and the Judicial System of the Country.